Dates: July-August or Fall
Project Length: Two Weeks
Project ID: 1712
ABOUT THE CHARITY
Established in 2001, this NGO’s mission is to create a mini-health system in three rural areas by providing comprehensive laboratory, consultation, and pharmacy services, as well as dental care and general surgery, prevent disease progression and help patients manage the most common chronic illnesses. As well their goal is to help indigenous Mayan children develop a love of learning and the educational foundation they need to succeed in the public school system by providing bilingual instruction, meeting nutritional needs, developing healthy hygiene and providing primary medical, dental, and vision care. The Organization also trains community members in disease prevention and treatment so they can be a health promoter within their own communities.
This Project will involve documenting the Organization’s work in both their educational school as well as their clinic. As well the Photographer will document volunteers who are participating on construction, medical and dental projects. Time will also be spent in a traditional Guatemalan home creating images to illustrate the “why” behind the work the Organization performs.
• Experience in photo-documentary or photojournalism
• Good level of physical fitness
• Respect to cultural sensitivity as you will be working with vulnerable people on sensitive topics
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Adaptable to new and different situations, flexible and patient
• Basic Spanish
• Experience in overseas development
• Experience travelling abroad in developing nations