Location: San Juan Comalapa, Guatemala
Project Length: 14 Days
Application Deadline: November 30, 2015
Project ID: 1540_SanJuanComalapaGuatemala
ABOUT THE NGO
This NGO has used sustainable design and materials to construct self-sufficient schools that promote education, employment and environmental stewardship. Their vision is to empower communities to break the cycle of poverty through innovative solutions to local challenges. This organisation believes that the path to real, lasting change is through youth capacity building. By using creative reuse of waste materials in construction, this NGO believes that this adaptable global solution can result in compounded impacts that has the ability to preserve cultural and natural resources, alleviate poverty through job creation, and improve local high school attendance rates.
In addition to the standard educational curriculum, the vocational school will offer coursework in carpentry, masonry, mechanics, electrical, welding and horticulture, all through the lens of alternative construction. The school will cultivate a new generation of entrepreneurs, uniquely skilled and equipped to lead their communities with innovative solutions for the future. Currently this NGO has 90 students in grades K-7 and hopes to add two more grades in the coming academic year.
• Experience in photo-documentary or photojournalism
• Proficient in photography and videography
• Respect to cultural sensitivity as you will be working with vulnerable people on sensitive topics
• Physically comfortable with traveling and working at high altitudes
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Adaptable to new and different situations, flexible and patient
• Experience in overseas development
• Experience travelling abroad in developing nations
$1,500.00 USD (Click here to learn about what program fees cover)