Project Length: 10 /14 Days
Project ID: 1728
ABOUT THE PARTNER PROJECT
Founded in 2004, this NGO’s mission is to create opportunities for the indigenous youth, women, and families of Chajul, Guatemala, in order to develop the academic and professional skills needed to effect change in their lives and community. This NGO focuses on opening educational opportunities for youth in Chajul, Guatemala. To do this, they engage family members so that children are supported at home and also provide families opportunities to learn and grow. Their programs consist of a youth development program with a supplemental artisan program, as well as Chajul’s only community library.
The focus will be documenting this NGO’s work based in various project sites. Volunteers will have the opportunity to document projects involved with the community library, computer lab, and local schools. Volunteers will also have the option of teaching a photography workshop to local children. There will be an opportunity to meet and interview an ex-guerilla fighter from the Guatemalan Civil War and learn about their experiences. There will also be opportunities to document the artisanal project and learn to weave with local weavers, as well as documenting a traditional cooking lesson and learning from local families.
- Experience in photo-documentary or photojournalism
- Proficient in photography, videography skills strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to withstand altitude of up to 7000ft, experience at altitude strongly preferred
- Adaptable to new and different situations, flexible and patient
- Some knowledge of Spanish
- Experience in overseas development
- Experience travelling abroad in developing nations
$ 2,000 USD
Click here to learn about what program fees cover.