Every trip is different.
You might need a few items more or less, but these are some essential items we like to take with us and recommend for you*:
- Lightweight suitcase for your non-camera items. Try to pack as light as possible. Bags with wheels and backpack straps are awesome
- Lightweight day bag that can fit water, one camera body with lens and an extra lens (especially for hiking)
- Separate locks for your baggage and camera bag
- Protection for your camera so you can shoot in the rain. We love the simple $10 rain covers available at most camera stores
- Lightweight, quick-dry clothing that folds small
- At least one pair of pants, one pair of long shorts/skirt/dress, one t-shirt, one long-sleeved shirt, rain jacket and one warm sweater/jacket
- Bring culture-specific/culture-appropriate clothing and even think about purchasing clothes locally
- Undergarments and at least two pairs of socks
- Travel toiletries; Consider refillable sets and environmentally-friendly concentrated suds (we love Campsuds).
- Tissues and hand sanitiser (without microbeads)
- One microfibre towel or sarong (some of us like to use sarongs as towels that we can wear!)
- Dessicant packets (in case something important gets wet)
- Natural insect spray (no DEET--it's bad for the environment and your camera gear)
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 or more)
- Versatile shoes. We love shoes that are lightweight and good in all weather, like Keen hiking boots or Keen water shoes/sandals
- Unlocked phone (if you want a local SIM card and data package, which is usually much cheaper than roaming)
- Stomach/diarrhea and headache medication. These are the most common issues while travelling
- Two copies of your passport, travel documents, insurance, etc - one on your person and one in your bag
- Durable bag for your camera and other related items.
- At least 1 body (required)
- Good portrait lens (required)
- Tripod (highly recommended but required)
- At least one good telephoto, one good macro, one good wide and other lens favourites are recommended but not required
- Small laptop (highly recommended but not required)
- Extra batteries and memory cards (required)
- Lens cleaning equipment
- Personal equipment insurance (highly recommended; PWB is not responsible for lost or stolen items)
*Unless indicated, these are recommendations only and you are not necessarily required to purchase or bring these items.